It is always best to renew a domain name before it expires so there is no interruption in service and there is no risk of losing ownership of the domain name. If a domain is expired so long that it is removed from the account, it may still be possible to retrieve and renew it.
How to renew an expired domain
- Log into your Name.com account
- Hover on the Get Started on the top of the page and click Renew under the Domains column.
- Under Expired Domains, click Renew next to the domain name you want
- Click the Shopping Cart icon in the upper right
- Follow the instructions to complete the order
Once you renew the domain name, it will be back in your account, active and ready for use.
Note: When a domain is removed from the account, the DNS records and nameservers are removed as well. You will have to re-add these for the site to work again. Please consult your hosting provider if you are unsure of the records to use.