Google Authenticator is a two-step authenticator which offers an additional security layer on top of your username-password combination. With two-step verification, a code generated by the Google Authenticator app must be entered while signing in, in addition to your account username and password. This ensures only the people with the installed app/code Once you download the app, you can add it to your account:
- Log into your Name.com account, click My Account and then click Account Settings.
- Click Two-Step Verification located in the left column under Security.
- On the Two-Step Verification page, enter a name for your device and click Add Credential.
- Once you have picked a name, a QR Code will pop up.
- Open the app on your mobile device and click the setting option in the upper right.
- Select the option to Set Up Account.
- Select the option Scan a Bar Code and scan the QR Code in your Name.com account. If you are having problems with the QR Code, please click here.
- Once you scan the QR code, it will take you back to the main Google Authenticator, with Name.com added to the list of codes.
- Locate Name.com and the 6 digit verification code in your app. Type this in at Name.com and click Verify Code.
- A green notification will display to confirm the authenticator activated.
That is it!
There is also an option to generate Backup Codes. For security reasons, we strongly recommend you save and print these codes, as they will allow you entry into your account in the event that you cannot use your device.