Finding the right domain name is the first and often most important decision you can make in setting up a website. Picking a good name can be overwhelming, but there are some good guidelines to consider.
- Shorter names are usually better since they are easier for people to remember and type.
- Ideally, the name will say what your company does. For example, Name.com sells domain names.
- You should always be careful about trademark infringement.
- Something that is easy to say, so people can find you if you give it to them over the phone or in person.
- In general, words with only one correct spelling are usually better so people don’t go to the wrong version.
A lot of great names for older TLDs, like .com and .net, are taken. However, there are a hundreds of new TLDs available, so it’s easier to get a great name that fits the criteria than ever before. An .attorney domain will tell your visitors what you do in a way .com never can and you can get one and two word versions of the new TLDs that have been taken for years in .com. To register your new domain name and get started:
- Go to Name.com and type in a name you are interested.
- Click Search to display results for your keyword.
- Click the name you want and add it to your cart.
- Click the Shopping Cart icon in the upper right.
- Follow the instructions to complete the order.