To add an extra layer of security to your account, you can add restrictions so only select IP addresses have access. This is a filter and not a block-list, so do not add IP addresses you wish to block.
Dynamic vs. static IPs
It's important to note that there are two types of IP addresses: dynamic and static. Dynamic IP addresses are the most common and change periodically, which could lock you out of your account. Static IP addresses remain the same and are typically sold by Internet Service Providers (ISP) for a premium price. If you are on a home network and are not sure if you have a static IP address, you probably have a dynamic IP address and should not use this feature.
If you understand the use and limitations of this option, you move forward with setting up this feature.
How to add IP restrictions to your account
- Log in to your Name.com account and click My Account.
- Click Account Settings under My Dashboard.
- Click Security Settings in the Security section.
- Find Account Level IP Address Access Restrictions, which is located at the bottom.
- Enter the IP addresses you want to grant access to, clicking Add IP between each one.
Note: You must add the IP addresses who should be allowed access; you can NOT block individual IP addresses.