If you have nameservers with another provider or your own custom nameservers, you can safely transfer your domains without any downtime as your nameservers will stay during the transfer.
However, if you’re using registrar DNS services, you’ll have to get a little more involved to successfully transfer your domain.
Transferring a domain that uses registrar DNS services
- Purchase a transfer. After the purchase completes, navigate to the transfers page.
- Click on the arrow next to the edit button and select “Edit DNS.”
- Input your DNS settings to match what you have at your old registrar.
- At this point, you should be able to resolve DNS both at your old nameservers and at Name.com’s nameservers.
- But you are not done yet. Go back to your old registrar and set the nameservers to the following: ns1.Name.com, ns2.Name.com, ns3.Name.com, ns4.Name.com.
- If your registrar allows you to acknowledge/expedite the transfer then you should wait 24 hours after you complete step 5 before you do so. Otherwise, the old registrar could stop resolving your domains if anyone else has their nameservers cached.
- If they don’t allow you to acknowledge/expedite the transfer, we will have to wait for the entire 7 day transfer period before the domains are with Name.com.